Sunday 26 February 2012

Side Effects Of A Gold Medal !!!!!

" This blog is not to praise myself nor demean others who don't have a GOLD MEDAL.This blog is just to share my experience I have had with people after getting a gold medal in Engineering."
        A big round of applause to Manasi MR for getting a gold medal for topping the university for her branch ,I still remember this day "Jan 08th 2010", when I was felicitated by the VTU chairman and was awarded a gold medal for topping in my branch. Indeed, it was a great moment, a special moment which cannot be put in words. This was the greatest achievement of my life and the result of my hard work and perseverance. It took days for me to sink in the thought of being a gold medalist.
       As days passed by, I realized the side effects of being a gold medalist.
July 2009, was when our results were announced and my lecturers were expecting a gold medal.

       I have come accross the most weird moments after getting a gold medal.

 1) It is close to impossible to get a job, if you are not placed

       I was at home with no job close to 6 months.I was an average student.Whenever I used to go for giving any interview, I had to face rejection. I had no clue why I was getting rejected. I tried applying for companies which worked on core industry for lesser salary ( 5K per month ), but still had no luck !
One day, I just took time off and thought as to why I was getting rejected even after doing so well in the interviews.
       Next day there was an interview with one small core company.The HR asked me " what guarantee will you give us that you won't leave the company? ". I was stunned by her question which made me realize that people don't believe that a gold medalist also can work for 5k salary per month and that the company didn't want to take risk by hiring me !

 2) We are considered nerds all the time

       After I got a job at Oracle, I started meeting new people, making new friends. Often I was asked this question " what do you do on weekends? " and even before I could answer, people used to speculate and say " dude she sits and studies on weekends!"

      Having a gold medal does not mean that a person is always into books. He/She has a life apart from books.

 3) Dude she listens to english music and all !

      This was infact the most weird comment ever !
     What the hell has english songs got to do with a Gold Medal?!
      When I used to talk about recent releases , people used to ask me " You listen to english music? You watch TV?! "

         I am not an alien, I am a simple, average human being who likes watching TV, likes listening to music, loves singing and dancing, loves playing all kinds of sports, more importantly believes in living life to the fullest !

 4) Dude ! she cannot marry  a normal person

    If I am a gold medalist , I don't expect my guy also to be a gold medalist.
    Getting a gold medal is not a big deal at all ! Anybody can work hard for it and get it !
    I am normal and would want to marry a normal person only !
    Even before me rejecting the guy, the guy might reject me because of my gold medal.. You never know !

      Any person who gets a gold medal is not an alien but a human being. He/She has a life apart from books. They can be fun loving, need not be serious and nerd at all !

    HOPE this opens few of my friend's eyes and they treat me normally ! :P

8 comments:

  1. ugh, its like everyone comes with baggage #HIMYMrefrence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dint understand :P please explain it to me in english :D

      Delete
  2. Manasi.. u jus stole the words of all gold medalist especially from 2009 batch B.E pass out. Lot of awkward moments after getting gold medal....

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehhe.. rashmi ... ya.. thats why this blog..was waiting to write this from such a long time.... just found the time now !! :) ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. To begin with, well i do not think you will get gold medal just bcoz you work hard, there goes a lottttttttt of effort to get it,and for that i salute you madam...:)Coming to people who act weird with you,ba@#$z to them,why the f#$*k you care for them,they are lot wonderful people around who are normal and act normal with others, so be with them and ignore others who do not even deserve s#*t..;).Sorry if i have used too many slangs, you can delete it.But we want treat when next time if we meet for get together..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey darshan.... first of all thanks for ur concern :P.... and im sure all my friends respect me for what i am.... its just that they pull my leg and I take it sportively .. :) ... and most of these were not told by my FRIENDS.... it was told by strangers !!! .so its ok :) :) ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool then have an awesome life ahead...:)

    ReplyDelete